This past Sunday, after an abbreviated visit to Boston Media Makers [http://bostonmediamakers.wordpress.com/], I made my way over to West Newton to attend a day long seminar on Wielding a Longsword (pics & vid to come), taught by Steven Hirsch (founder), Stuart Ferguson and Josh Watson of Kunstbruder – The Brotherhood of the Art.
This was a six hour long version of the 1 hour class I took part in at Arisia [http://www.arisia.org]. Whereas at the Arisia class we were quickly introduced to basic stances and footwork, this seminar proceeded as follows:
- 12:00 -12:25 Introduction to the Longsword
- 12:25 – 12:35 Warm-ups – Be prepared to sweat
- 12:35 – 12:50 The Basic attack – Oberhau
- 12:50 – 1:30 Footwork
- 1:40 – 2:30 Moulinet & Zornhau with Zorn-ort and Abnemen
- 2:30 – 3:00 Snack break
- 3:00 – 3:50 Unterhau and Combining it all
- 4:00 – 4:30 Absetzen – parry-riposte
- 4:30 – 5:00 Ringen am schwert – Wrestling at the sword
- 5:00 – 5:40 Coached free play
- 5:40 – 6:00 How to practice what you’ve learned
- 6:00- Dinner!
By the end of the day, I was sweaty, tired, famished, and totally happy. Afterwards, we shared a well deserved beer and some much needed calories. Check these guys out. They’re great teachers. I’m definitely looking forwards to many, many, more lessons.