This past Sunday, after an abbreviated visit to Boston Media Makers [http://bostonmediamakers.wordpress.com/], I made my way over to West Newton to attend a day long seminar on Wielding a Longsword (pics & vid to come), taught by Steven Hirsch (founder), Stuart Ferguson and Josh Watson of Kunstbruder – The Brotherhood of the Art.
This was a six hour long version of the 1 hour class I took part in at Arisia [http://www.arisia.org]. Whereas at the Arisia class we were quickly introduced to basic stances and footwork, this seminar proceeded as follows:
- 12:00 -12:25 Introduction to the Longsword
- 12:25 – 12:35 Warm-ups – Be prepared to sweat
- 12:35 – 12:50 The Basic attack – Oberhau
- 12:50 – 1:30 Footwork
- 1:40 – 2:30 Moulinet & Zornhau with Zorn-ort and Abnemen
- 2:30 – 3:00 Snack break
- 3:00 – 3:50 Unterhau and Combining it all
- 4:00 – 4:30 Absetzen – parry-riposte
- 4:30 – 5:00 Ringen am schwert – Wrestling at the sword
- 5:00 – 5:40 Coached free play
- 5:40 – 6:00 How to practice what you’ve learned
- 6:00- Dinner!
There were 6 students in attendance, including Marc Bernier [http://www.hickoryarmsonline.com], the swordsman and craftsman who created my brand new hickory waster, seen above and on the right.
By the end of the day, I was sweaty, tired, famished, and totally happy. Afterwards, we shared a well deserved beer and some much needed calories. Check these guys out. They’re great teachers. I’m definitely looking forwards to many, many, more lessons.
I’m glad that you had fun, and I look forward to crossing swords with you again many, many times.